Hunting Dvd's


Save Time Apply for Your Permit to aquire

How to obtain a Pistol License

As at 8 February 2007




  • Obtain the Form
    (form QP 515) from your local police station, complete and return to the station for approval. If approved, you will receive a declaration to be presented to your preferred approved pistol club.

Remember this declaration willonly last for 3 months.

  • You will also be required to provide 2 character reference letters with your application to your preferred club (from persons knowing the applicant for more than 2 years).
  • Provide a declaration to the Club stating that you are a current member of another approved shooting club or arenot a current member of another approved shooting club.


Persons with an existing licence (eg Category A & B) are not required to submit the form QP 515, but will need 2 character references and declaration of other shooting club memberships as above.


  • Apply for membership of your preferred Club.


  • Complete a recognised approved Weapons Safety Course (to gain knowledge of safety practices for the use, storage and maintenance of a firearm). Applicants having an A or B licence will only need to do the legislation and Category H components.
  • Receive your Statement of Attainment from the training organisation (usually QAPSA).
  • Compete in at least 3 competition shoots at your club within six months of membership with the club. You must complete a Form 33 every time you shoot to be able to fire a concealable firearm during this period and be supervised one on one, by an appointed range officer.


  • Apply for a concealable firearms licence:

You will need to complete and provide the police with:

    • Form 1: Application for a Licence
  • Form 30: Proof of Identity Declaration
  • Two notarised passport photos
  • A copy of your Statement of Attainment from your Weapons Safety Course

(which has an expiry date of 12 months)

  • Form QP 518(A): A current declaration by the representative of your approved pistol club stating that you, the applicant, are a financial member of the club, that you have been a member of the pistol club for the 6 month period immediately before the declaration is made and that you have participated in at least 3 handgun shooting competitions during that 6 months
  • Your Participation Record
  • Proof of residence: eg rates notice

Ensure that forms show that the applicant became a member after obtaining their Eligibility Statement.


Once you have your licence, you can then:

  • Complete a Form 28 (Application for Permit to Acquire) stating the type, action, make, model, barrel length, serial number and calibre of the weapon, and the magazine capacity of the firearm.

Remember: a permit to acquire has an expiry date of 3 months.

  • With the above application include a letter from the Club, on a Club letterhead, stating the need for the firearm (matches/events/competitions) to be shot.

During these steps there will be costs (fees subject to increase by CPI each year) involved with the forms obtained.

Permit to Acquire $20.75
Application for licence $33.45
Concealable firearms licence $16.70 (per year)
Minor $11.05 (per year)

Please note that a concealable firearms licence may be obtained for a 5 year period usually connected with your birth date.
(Cost $83.50)

For the first twelve months of holding a concealable firearms licence, you are only able to possess 1 (one) air pistol, and 1 (one) of the following – a rim-fire pistol (.22) ( this calibre will enable you to shoot all ISSF matches), or – a centre-fire pistol (up to .45 inch), or – a black-powder pistol.

A holder of a concealable firearms licence, who is a member of an approved shooting club, must not possess:

  • a weapon with a calibre of more than .45 inch;
  • a weapon that is semi automatic and has a barrel length of less than 120mm unless it has an overall length of at least 250mm measured parallel to the barrel;
  • a weapon that is not semi automatic (e.g. revolvers and single shot pistols) and has a barrel length of less than 100mm unless it has an overall length of at least 250mm measured parallel to the barrel;
  • a weapon with a magazine with a maximum capacity of more than 10 rounds;
  • a weapon designed to be used without a magazine that has a maximum capacity of more than 10 rounds.

However, an authorised officer may authorise the holder of a licence, by an accreditation condition endorsed on the licence, to possess a category H weapon of high calibre more than .38 inch but not more than .45 inch, if the authorised officer is satisfied that the holder is to participate in an accredited event.

Accredited events are;

  • a metallic silhouette competition; and
  • a single-action competition.

The limitations do not apply to category H weapons that are black-powder handguns.

To have a licence endorsed for accreditation condition a Form 4 must be completed.

For current fees go to Queensland Police Service website:



Save Time Apply for Your Firearms License

Obtaining a Weapon's License

The following is credited to the qld police website at

Who must obtain a Weapons Act Licence?

If you wish to possess or use any firearm or weapon, you must firstly have or obtain a Weapons Act licence. A Weapons Act licence will allow you to possess, carry and use these firearms/weapons, subject to specific conditions.

Who can obtain a Weapons Act Licence?

To obtain a Weapons Act licence you must meet certain requirements.

These include:

  • Full licence holders must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Children of at least 11 years of age can use certain firearms, with adult supervision, under a minor's licence.
  • A person is ineligible to hold a Weapons Act Licence if, within the past five years, they have been convicted of offences including misuse of drugs, or weapons, and the use or threatened use of violence.
  • A person is ineligible to hold a Weapons Act Licence if they are or have been the subject of a domestic violence order in the past five years.

When can I possess or use a weapon without a licence?

If not disqualified or prevented from obtaining a licence under the Weapons Act 1990, a person may possess and use a weapon without a licence under certain circumstances. These are:

  • A minor (at least 11 years) may possess and use a Category A or B firearm, where it is lawful and safe to do so, if the minor is under supervision of a parent or guardian or someone acting as a parent or guardian. This person must be licensed to possess the weapon.
  • A minor (at least 11 years) may possess and use a Category A or B firearm, at an approved range, if the minor is supervised directly and immediately by a range officer. After firing the weapon on three separate occasions, direct supervision can be to a group of up to six minors by the range officer or their appointee.
  • A person who is eligible to obtain a licence may have possession and use a weapon at a range approved for the category of weapon, if they have produced identification and signed the appropriate forms. Possession and use must be supervised by a range officer.
  • A person who is an agent, employee or member of the immediate family of a primary producer may possess and use a weapon on the primary producer's land, if the person:

      i) assists the primary producer with primary production on the land; and
      ii) is eligible to obtain a licence to possess a weapon; and
      iii) only uses the weapon with the express consent of the primary producer; and
      iv) only uses the weapon in connection with carrying out primary production on the land.
  • A person using a shooting gallery may physically possess and use a weapon allowed under the conditions of gallery approval.

Do I need a reason for owning a weapon?

All licensees will be required to provide a genuine reason for owning a weapon. These reasons include:

Gun club membership

Sporting or target shooting

Recreational shooting

Occupational requirement, such as primary producers

Ownership of a family heirloom

Collection by a firearms collector

Security industry requirement

Military re-enactment or demonstrations

Possession by a sporting club to start sporting events

Possession by a theatrical organisation for use in theatrical productions.

Depending on the reason you give to own a weapon, you will need to include some information about your club or where you will be using the weapon. For instance:

  • Sporting shooters need proof of membership of an approved shooting club;
  • Recreational shooters need to produce written permission from a landowner authorising them to shoot on that person's land; For your business or work, you must state why the weapon is necessary.

What type of licence do I need?

There are a number of different types of Weapons Act licences, depending on the use of your weapon. These are listed below.

Armourer's licence
The armourer's licence authorises the holder to repair and store any weapon in the course of his or her business as an armourer.

Blank-fire firearms licence
Under this category the licensee is allowed to use a blank-fire gun, for uses such as starting sporting events, or theatrical productions. Only theatrical, sporting or athletic organisations may have this licence and the method of use of the firearm is endorsed on the licence.

Collector's licence (heirloom)
You may own an heirloom firearm. This type of firearm is passed to a person by testamentary disposition or the laws of succession. A firearm owned under this licence must be made permanently inoperable.

Collector's licence (weapons)
Category D, M and R firearms/weapons may only be owned if they are made permanently inoperable/inert. Category A, B or C firearms manufactured after 1900 may be owned only if they are made temporarily inoperable (permanently inoperable category A, B or C firearms are classed as ‘replicas’ and do not require licensing). Category H handguns manufactured after 1900 can be temporarily or permanently inoperable (refer to 'Storage' for details about how to make a firearm permanently or temporarily inoperable') however, if temporarily inoperable must conform to further restrictions (refer to ‘Handgun Legislation Information’). Weapons held under this licence must remain temporarily/permanently inoperable at all times and can only be removed from the premises specified in the licence with reasonable excuse. For requirements concerning the collection of ammunition contact the Explosives Inspectorate on (07) 32371428.

Concealable firearms licence
With this type of licence you may possess or use pistols (category H) other than those in category R for a number of reasons including use at an approved shooting club or occupational reasons. This licence does not authorise possession or use for recreational shooting. You may only wear a concealable firearm in a public place if it is part of your job. There are conditions for the use of the firearms that are outlined when you receive the licence.

Dealer's licence
The dealer's licence authorises the holder to: buy, sell, transfer or broker the sale of weapons; broker the acquisition of Category R firearms (to certain licence holders) only if they are rendered permanently inoperable; and receive, dispatch, repair and store weapons.

Firearms licence
This is the most common licence. It allows possession and use of the firearms or categories of firearms that are registered to the licence. This can include category A, B, C and D firearms, depending on the individual's need to own a firearm.

Firearms licence (instructor)
As a holder of a firearms instructor's licence you can provide a course in firearms safety training approved by the Commissioner. You may also own and use a firearm in the category stated on the licence for the purpose of providing the course. This licence also authorises a student doing the course to physically possess or use a firearm supplied by the licensee and supervised by the licensee for the purposes of the course.

Group licence
A group licence may be issued to an individual or body to satisfy an occupational need or to a body that is a sports or target shooting club to satisfy its needs in sports or target shooting. It may only be issued for certain weapons.

Minor's licence
The holder of a minor's licence must be at least 11 years of age. A licence may be issued to authorise use under supervision by a range officer at an approved range for the category of firearm, use of a category A or B weapon in primary production in the conduct of the licensee’s employment or category C or D weapons for certain occupational purposes.

Miscellaneous licence
This licence may only be issued for a category E or some category M (“martial arts” or “historical/military”) weapons. Certain conditions apply.

Security organisation's licence
This licence may only be issued to a body or organisation that provides security guards and the services of security guards. This licence may be endorsed for Category C, E and/or H firearms/weapons.

Security guard's licence
You may only use a revolver, shotgun or semi-automatic pistol. If you are employed under the owner of a security organisation's licence, you may use the firearm only in performing your security guard duties. The maximum term for this licence is 12 months.

Theatrical ordinance supplier's licence
You may own and supply some replica, blank-fire firearms or permanently inoperable firearms or other weapons for use in theatrical, film or television productions.

Visitor's licence
A visitor's licence is available to those who live outside Queensland and intend to visit for a purpose which is a genuine reason to own a firearm. You can possess or use a weapon according to the specifications on the licence. In some instances, interstate licence holders do not need a visitor’s licence (refer to ‘Visitor’s Licences’). A visitor's licence is only available for up to three months.